with prosciutto and arugula
I decided to put all my favorite things into a salad. Inspired by my Italian roots, I paired regional apricots with burrata, prosciutto, and hazelnuts. A drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and you have yourself a light dinner or the perfect side salad.
The spicy arugula paired the sweet apricots and salty prosciutto is balanced out by the creamy, mild buratta.
The fun part (I’m easily entertained apparently) is grilling the apricots! I don’t have a grill sadly, but if I did – it would be charcoal. There’s nothing better than the smell of a charcoal grill during the summer – especially when you’re hungry. Luckily, I do have a cast iron grill pan that does the trick.
The chances of the apricots sticking is very high, and unless you have a masterfully seasoned cast iron, I recommend a light brushing of avocado oil. Avocado oil has a high smoke point, which is crucial because we’re working with high heat.
They only need 3-5 minutes . Just keep an eye on them – you want dark grill marks but you don’t want them burned.
Grilled Apricot & Burrata Salad with Prosciutto & Arugula
PREP TIME: 15 MIN
COOK TIME: 3-5 min
4 ripe apricots
4 cups of arugula
4-8 slices ofprosciutto
1 tsp of avocado oil (or enough to coat apricots)
1/2 cup of hazelnuts
1 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt
Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Rinse and pat dry 4 apricots, slice down the center – twist, and remove pit
- Brush pit side with avocado oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper
- On a very hot preheated cast iron grill pan (or charcoal grill) place the apricots pit side down. Let the sizzling commence!
- Keep an eye on your apricots. When you see the edges began to turn black, about 3-5 minutes, carefully remove them from the pan and set aside. Should have nice grill marks.
- Toast hazelnuts over medium heat, watch them very closely! When they begin to smell fragrant and develop a light golden color, remove from the heat.
- Prepare arugula by spreading it evenly in a shallow bowl.
- Slice burrata and place evenly on top of arugula, do the same with the apricots.
- Teat prosciutto slices lengthwise and spread over salad.
- Drizzle with EVOO, two cap fulls of balsamic vinegar and sprinkle of hazelnuts.
Serve up and enjoy!
TILL NEXT TIME, EM